A house fire on Sunnyside Hill caused damages ranging between an estimated $5,000 and $10,000 Sunday afternoon, according to a Pullman Fire Department press release.
The fire was located at 535 Winter Circle, according to the press release. A neighbor who saw smoke coming from the house’s attic, Spencer Clawson, combated the fire with his own fire extinguisher.
According to the press release, this prevented serious damage to the house. The fire, started by smoking material in a bucket next to the house, caused exterior damage to the building, but little interior damage.
The Pullman Fire Department responded and Cpt. Scott Van Ness called in a second alarm, bringing in Whitman County Rural District 12, according to the press release.
The two residents who live in the house were not at home at the time of the fire, according to the press release, but two dogs were inside. As soon as firefighters arrived and opened the door, one dog escaped the building while firefighters helped the other out.
Both the residents and the dogs were allowed back into the home a couple of hours after firefighters were finished, according to the press release.