There are a number of deals that could help some competitors and teams in the league. Trades which could land a number of familiar-faced stars elsewhere.
Here are some potential trades that could impact a number of teams:
1) Dwight Howard — Center for the Orlando Magic; Trade Partners: New Jersey Nets, Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State Warriors
- For the Magic to give up Howard, they want something big in return. They want a big man to fill in the sizeable-gap Howard would be leaving in the lineup, something both Lakers center Andrew Bynum, and Nets center Brook Lopez would have to do, but they want a number of additional pieces as well. Trading Howard is also difficult because of the unknowingness of whether he will resign with the team that trades for him. In addition, the Magic have a very high-asking price, maintaining a small hope that Howard will change his mind and stay with the team for the long-term. The Golden State Warriors are willing to part with one of their star guards and forward David Lee to land Howard. Whether Howard will agree to an extension has yet to be seen.
2) Pau Gasol — Forward/Center for the Los Angeles Lakers; Trade Partners: Houston Rockets, Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers
- The Lakers are in need of an athletic point guard, and have already once traded Gasol, which was of course rescinded by the league commissioner. The team Gasol was traded to, the Houston Rockets still want the forward and are willing to part with forward Luis Scola, and guard Kevin Martin. The Lakers, however, want point guard Kyle Lowry who has become one of the more effective players at his position. Another potential blockbuster trade would be trading Pau Gasol to the Boston Celtics for their start point guard, Rajon Rondo.
3) Rajon Rondo — Point Guard for the Boston Celtics; Trade Partners: Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trailblazers
- After years of personality clashes between Rondo and Celtics Head Coach Doc Rivers, the team is finally willing to part with their star, mainly because their window of opportunity to compete for a title has closed. Rondo would be coveted by a number of teams who would be willing to part with talented players, such as Warriors guard Stephen Curry, Gerald Wallace of the Portland Trailblazers, and the aforementioned Gasol. Word making the rounds is that the Celtics are actively trying to move Rondo, and he could be traded anytime up until the March 15 deadline.
4) Monta Ellis/Stephen Curry-Guards for the Golden State Warriors; Trade Partners: Orlando Magic, Boston Celtics,
- The Warriors are trying to make a big splash in the trade market, and are trying to get another star. The Warriors have been linked to Dwight Howard and the Magic, Brook Lopez and the Nets, Rondo and the Celtics. Bringing back Howard in return will require parting with either of their guards, or even possibly forward David Lee. In the mean time, the Warriors are playing very well, and have no intentions of bringing in a player back without a commitment to resigning long-term.
5) Steve Nash — Point Guard for the Phoenix Suns; Trade Partners: Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trailblazers, Dallas Mavericks, and Orlando Magic
- The Phoenix Suns are in the process of either rebuilding or trying to compete, but either way they are stuck somewhere in the middle. The Suns are not actively looking to trade Steve Nash, unless he asked management to do so. Instead the Suns will play the waiting game with Nash unless, a deal can be agreed to by all parties. Still look for a number of teams in need of a point guard to be looking to make a deal with the Suns.