A cigarette left on a couch caused a fire in the living room of a Pioneer Hill Apartment unit Sunday night.
"We're waiting on an estimate (of the full damages) from the insurance company, but in the living room, we have the main damage and smoke damage to the rest of the apartment," Fire Operations Officer Mike Heston said. "The damage was confined to the one apartment."
The fire was put out quickly, Heston said. Bystanders helped combat the flames with water buckets and a fire extinguisher.
"There were some neighbors in other apartments actually helped put the fire out," he said. "They knocked it down pretty well before we got there."
The fire was deemed accidental and no charges will be brought up, he said.
"Be careful when you're smoking, dispose of them properly," Heston said. "The main cause of fires in this town are smoking, kitchen fires and candles. Those are our three main sources."